First Congregational Church - New Village

Here’s a comprehensive history of the First Congregational Church of New Village (now known as New Village Church), located in what’s now Lake Grove, NY — originally part of the hamlet called New Village (now Centereach) 🕍:

Early Formation & Construction

  • 1815: The congregation was established in March as the Third Congregational Church of Brookhaven, with Jacob Corwin appointed its first pastor.

  • 1817–1818: A committee was appointed in 1817 to build a meeting house. The current church building was likely constructed around 1818 (some sources mention 1812) initially intended as a union meeting house.

Name & Structural Milestones

  • March 5, 1845: The congregation was formally incorporated as the First Congregational Church of New Village.

  • 1830–1831: A revival led to the establishment of the first Sunday school, with 31 new members joining.

  • 1913–1914: The parsonage was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1914.

Mid-20th Century Transition

  • 1949: The church withdrew from its Congregational denomination, becoming an independent evangelical entity governed by its own board of elders and deacons.

  • 1950s–1963:

    • Began supporting missionaries in the 1950s and acquired additional property in 1951.

    • By 1963, a new larger church building was dedicated following a decade of planning that started in 1957.

Preservation of the Old Building

  • 1961: The congregation moved into its new facility; the historic building remained on the original site.

  • ~1970: The Town of Brookhaven took over the old building and grounds; restoration began under the town historian’s guidance.

  • April 11, 2002: The old church structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Modern Era & Legacy

  • Today, the congregation is known as New Village Church, meeting at 3 Wildwood Street, a block from the historic site.

  • The old church is preserved as a town-owned historic site, prominently featured on the village seal of Lake Grove.

  • Although Centereach, formerly called New Village, lies just east of the site, the church remains a significant landmark in Lake Grove.