Presbyterian Islip Parish
Here’s a detailed history of the Presbyterian Church in Islip, NY, with a focus on its origins in the 1850s:
📜 Early Roots & Formation
Before 1852, local Presbyterians attended services at the main Church in Babylon (then known as the Church of Islip and Huntington). [isliphamle...istory.org], [hmdb.org]
As the community grew, Charlotte and Almira Doxsee formed a Ladies’ Sewing Society, raising approximately $400 through three years of sewing activities to fund building materials. [isliphamle...istory.org], [hmdb.org]
1852: First Chapel Established
In 1852, the “Lecture Room,” a modest chapel, was constructed debt-free on the southwest corner of Cedar Avenue and Main Street. [isliphamle...istory.org], [hmdb.org]
This building, later referred to as the “chapel,” remains in use today as the church’s fellowship hall. [hmdb.org]
1860: Land & Independence
The land for the chapel was purchased in 1860 from the Doxsee family for $1, and fully deeded to the church in 1893. [isliphamle...istory.org], [hmdb.org]
Initially part of the Babylon congregation, a local movement in the mid-1850s sought autonomy due to pastoral challenges with shared ministry. [isliphamle...istory.org]
1857: Parish Organization
The Presbyterian Islip parish was officially organized in 1857. [hmdb.org]
Joseph Nimmo served as the first dedicated pastor from 1857 to 1860, though some overlapping in records with earlier pastors is noted. [isliphamle...istory.org], [ourfamtree.org]
1867–1869: New Sanctuary Erected
In 1867, Robert L. Maitland pledged $3,000 toward a new church building, conditional on congregation matching his donation. [hmdb.org], [isliphamle...istory.org]
By 1869, the current larger sanctuary was completed, identifiable by its single-spire design; the earlier chapel remained for smaller gatherings. [hmdb.org], [isliphamle...istory.org]
1895–1896: Expansion & Manse
The manse (clergy residence) was constructed in 1895, expanding facilities. [hmdb.org], [isliphamle...istory.org]
Records note that this building served as the manse until 1979, after which a bequest by James Van der Scheer funded a new manse. [hmdb.org], [isliphamle...istory.org]
Quick Timeline
1852 Dedicated “Lecture Room” chapel built by Sewing Society
1857 Official organization as Presbyterian Islip parish
1857–1860 Pastor Joseph Nimmo’s tenure starts
1867 Maitland pledges funds for new church
1869 Present sanctuary completed
1895 Church manse constructed
1893 Deed granted by Doxsee family
1979 Current house becomes manse via Van der Scheer bequest
📍 Historical Marker
A marker at 340 Main Street & Cedar Avenue reads:
“Presbyterian Islip parish org. 1857. 1st chapel 1852 now south of single spire church 1869. Manse blt. 1895. Robert L. Maitland, major benefactor.” [hmdb.org]
This history shows a strong community-driven beginning—led notably by the Doxsee sisters' initiative—followed by key support from Robert Maitland, which allowed the parish to establish roots in Islip. The congregation evolved from a small satellite chapel to a fully independent parish with its own sanctuary and clergy residence.